Mrs. Criminger’s session I, upper elementary literature classes will have two types of activity.
1. The first half of class will feature a shared inquiry method of discussion, based on the Junior Great books program. Short works of quality fiction will be read aloud in class. Then, students will learn to engage in an active search for the meaning by reading closely, listening to each other, asking questions and discussing actively. Students will be encouraged to write their answers before sharing them with the class. Interpretive questions, where there are multiple correct answers will lead to interesting discussions.
2. The second half of class will allow students to do an activity related to a book they are reading outside of class (chosen from a leveled reading list). At the beginning of the session they will have the opportunity to choose a book and read it independently, at home, or during class time. This will allow students to work at their own pace. Reluctant, or low confidence readers may choose a Level 1 book. Whereas, advanced readers may read all three options, if desired. Activities will focus on vocabulary building, comprehension, and completing a quality assignment related to the book. Possible titles include: Nim’s Island, Pictures of Hollis Woods, and Sign of the Beaver.
1. The Cricket in Times Square, George Selden (book or audio book for struggling readers only)
Optional levelled reading
2. Like Bug Juice on a Burger series, Julie Sternberg
3. Raiders from the Sea series, Lois Walfrid Johnson
Week 1 NO READING. The Cricket in Times Square will be introduced in class
8/31/18 Homework: read chapters 1-5 The Cricket in Times Square. Students who want additional reading may ALSO choose from levelled options.
Week 2 Discuss chapters 1-5 Cricket in Times Square
9/7/18 Homework: read chapters 6-10 Cricket in Times Square. Students who want additional reading may ALSO choose from levelled options.
Week 3 Discuss chapters 6-10 Cricket in Times Square
9/14/18 Homework: finish Cricket in Times Square, chapters 11-15. Students who want additional reading may ALSO choose from levelled options.
Week 4 Discuss chapters 11-15
9/21/18 Homework: OPTIONAL complete an assignment for Cricket in Times Square due week 6.
Week 5 Cricket in Times Square activities
9/28/18 Homework: OPTIONAL complete an assignment for Cricket in Times Square due week 6.
10/5/18 Cricket in Times Square assignments DUE
Homework: finish optional reading
Week 7 Student work displayed and presented in class
10/12/18 Homework: none
Week 8 Game day if student’s have completed goals and lessons